FIU’s soccer crew will play Saturday’s recreation at Texas-El Paso with a heavy coronary heart.
Following the homicide of three College of Virginia soccer gamers, FIU coach Mike MacIntyre began his weekly press convention on Tuesday together with his condolences.
FIU has a deep connection to the Virginia bloodbath that claimed the lives of Lave Davis Jr., Devin Chandler and Miami’s D’Sean Perry, who performed at Gulliver Prep.
MacIntyre’s particular groups coach, Ricky Brumfield, served in the identical capability at Virginia the previous 4 years, and he knew the victims nicely. His son, FIU defensive again Ryan Brumfield, additionally knew the Virginia gamers.
“There aren’t any phrases that may categorical what has occurred at Virginia,” MacIntyre mentioned. “Our crew is praying for them. It’s a troublesome scenario.”
That is the second time this season that tragedy has struck at or close to the FIU soccer household. In August, FIU linebacker Luke Knox died. No reason for dying has been launched.
“We had a scenario firstly of the 12 months that occurred to us,” mentioned MacIntyre, referencing Knox. “We’re extraordinarily understanding of what (Virginia’s) going via.”
Not like Virginia – which has understandably cancelled its recreation in opposition to Coastal Carolina – FIU will play the UTEP Miners on Saturday at 4 p.m. Each groups are 4-6 general and 2-4 in Convention USA.
FIU beat visiting UTEP, 32-17, the final time the groups performed one another, which was in 2019.
UTEP, 3-2 at residence this season, will enter Saturday on a two-game dropping streak.
Nonetheless, UTEP beat Florida Atlantic 24-21 on Oct. 22. For perspective, FIU misplaced 52-7 to Florida Atlantic final week.
Then once more, FIU beat Louisiana Tech, 42-34, in double extra time. UTEP misplaced to Louisiana Tech, 41-31.
UTEP has been listed as a 14-point favourite over FIU, which must win each its remaining regular-season video games to develop into bowl eligible.
THIS AND THAT
▪ MacIntyre mentioned FIU’s lack of depth has proven at a number of spots: offensive line, huge receiver, defensive again and particular groups.
▪ FIU is 1-4 this season in opposition to quarterbacks who’re in not less than their fourth collegiate season. On Saturday, FIU will face fourth-year QB Gavin Hardison, who has began 30 faculty video games. FIU second-year QB Grayson James has began simply 9 video games.
▪ Hardison set a faculty single-season document final 12 months with 3,218 passing yards. However he has been intercepted 21 occasions the previous two seasons, together with eight this 12 months. Hardison has additionally accomplished simply 53.3 p.c of his passes for his profession, 52.1 this 12 months.
▪ MacIntyre mentioned UTEP defensive finish Jadrian Taylor is “in all probability the very best pass-rusher in our league.” Taylor has eight sacks. UTEP additionally has linebacker Cal Wallerstedt, who has 6½ sacks and leads the crew with 11 tackles for losses.
▪ UTEP’s Gavin Baechle is considered one of 20 kickers named Lou Groza Award semifinalists. Baechle leads the nation with 20 subject targets, together with his walk-off 27-yarder in a 27-24 victory over FAU on Oct. 22. He has additionally made 20 straight subject targets, together with a 54-yarder in opposition to Oklahoma.
▪ Will probably be Senior Day for UTEP, and MacIntyre mentioned the Miners have “quite a lot of older guys” on their roster.